Media Information

Collection name:
[NY] - A Art Paintings Etchings Engravings, Etc.
Title :
A64-110; Print, bookplate, George Washington
Description :
George Washington, November 26, 1753; military uniform; Artist unknown, image representing Washington's 1753 meeting with the chiefs of the Delaware Tribe of Native Americans.
Artifact Date and Number :
1900s, mid; A64-110
Accession Date :
Manufacture Time Period :
MTP6 (1901-1950)
Accession Time Period :
ATP4 (1926-1950)
Not Masonic :
Card Number :
Nomenclature Term :
Print; Bookplate
Measurements in cm :
L: 21.8 W: 18
Materials :
Paper; ink (black; multi-color)
Symbols :
Sun; shield; feather
Artifact Other :
Washington's First Speech to the Indians, - P. 19
Artifact Manufacturer or Artist :
Artist unknown
Associated Names :
Robert Dinwiddie; King George II; Jacob van Braam (Vanbraam); Christopher Gist; Shingiss; Half-King Tanacharisson; Jeskakake; White Thunder; John Frazier; Queen Aliquippa
Owner or Subject :
Subject: George Washington
Owner or Subject Lodge Name Number Location and State :
Fredericksburg Lodge No. 4; Fredericksburg; VA
Owner or Subject Royal Arch Chapter Name and Number :
RoyalArch; Believed to have been a Royal Arch Mason.
Owner or subject Date Born :
1732, February 22; (1732, February 11; old calendar; The different dates reflect the fact that England did not adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752. Much of Europe had already adopted the Gregorian calendar in the 1500-s, the rest slowly changing over. When adopted in England, riots broke out because of the days lost changing from the Julian calendar.)
Owner or subject Date Raised :
1753, August 4
Owner or subject Date Died :
1799, December 14
Owner or Subject Other :
George Washington was the first President of the United States (1789-1797), and Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War (1775-1781). He served as Master of the Fredericksburg Lodge from 1788 until his death in 1799. He was Initiated as an Entered Apprentice on November 4th, 1752, Passed the Fellowcraft degree on March 3, 1753 and was Raised as a Master Mason on August 4, 1753. In October of that year, Washington received his first military commission and traveled to the Ohio River Valley on behalf of England, in order to tell the French not to settle there.
Owner or Subject Other 2 :
WASHINGTON'S 1753 MISSION TO WARN THE FRENCH NOT TO SETTLE IN OHIO: In 1753, the French and the British were in a cold war with each trying to gain advantage over the other. Both countries wanted the Ohio River Valley, but the French arrived there first. The English had laid claim to some of the Ohio land with the "Ohio Company", a business partly owned by the Governor of Virginia, Robert Dinwiddie. Learning that the French had moved into the Ohio River Valley, Dinwiddie informed King George II of England, who immediately ordered an envoy sent to tell the French to leave. At 21 years of age, George Washington traveled to Williamsburg to embark on the dangerous mission.
He marched to Fort Cumberland on October 17 with one hundred men. He received the commission to deliver the message to the French from the British on October 31, 1753 and left on the same day. On November 1, in Fredericksburg, Va., he hired Jacob van Braam (Vanbraam) as his French interpreter. On November 14th, he arrived at Will's Creek and hired Christopher Gist as a pilot and guide, along with four helpers. On November 24th, they arrived at the Forks of the Ohio and, according to Washington's papers, "About two Miles from the Place where the Ohio Company intended to erect a Fort, lives Shingiss, King of the Delawares (a Native American tribe). We called upon him, to invite him to Council at the Loggs-Town (Logstown)."
Owner or Subject Other 3 :
WASHINGTON'S SPEECH: On November 26, he writes of the speech he gave; "Brothers, I have called you together in Council by order of your Brother, the Governor of Virginia, to acquaint you, that I am sent, with all possible Dispatch, to visit, and deliver a Letter to the French Commandant, of very great Importance to your Brothers, the English; and I dare say, to you their Friends and Allies. I was desired, Brothers, by your Brother the Governor, to call upon you, the Sachems of the Nations, to inform you of it, and to ask your Advice and Assistance to proceed to the nearest and best Road to the French. You see, Brothers, I have gotten thus far on my Journey.
His Honour likewise desired me to apply to you for some of your young Men, to conduct and provide Provisions for us on our Way; and be a safe-guard against those French Indians who have taken up the hatchet against us. I have spoken thus particularly to you, Brothers, because his Honour our Governor treats you as good Friends and Allies; and holds you in great Esteem. To confirm what I have said, I give you this String of Wampum."
On November 30th, he wrote, "We set out about nine o'clock with the Half-King (Tanacharisson), Jeskakake, White Thunder and the Hunter; and traveled on the Road to Venango, where we arrived the fourth of December."
Owner or Subject Other 4 :
Venango, Pennsylvania, was a Native American town at the junction of French Creek and the Allegheny, about sixty miles from Loggs-Town. Upon arriving, they found the French situated in a house from which they had driven an Englishman. Washington immediately questioned them as to where he could find the French Commandant. He was told that one of the Officers at hand had command of the Ohio, but that there was an Officer at the nearby Fort, and that the answer to his letter should come from him. They then provided Washington with dinner and were quite cordial.
On December 12th, the party arrived at Fort Le Boeuf, Pennsylvania, where Washington notes, "I prepared early to wait upon the Commander...I acquainted him with my Business, and offered my Commission and Letter." On December 14th, he received an answer to his letter. On the 15th, the Commandant ordered their canoe to be plentifully stocked with liquor and provisions, and gave the appearance of being friendly, while, as Washington wrote on December 15, "he was exerting every Artifice which he could invent to set our own Indians at Variance with us, to prevent their going 'till after our Departure. Presents, Rewards, and every Thing which could be suggested by him or his Officers. I can't say that ever in my Life I suffered so much Anxiety as I did in this Affair." On the 16th, the party headed back, and "had a tedious and very fatiguing Passage down the Creek. Several Times we were like to have been staved against Rocks; and many Times all hand-s were obliged to get out and remain in the Water Half an Hour or more, getting over the Shoals. At one Place the Ice had lodged and made it impassable by Water; therefore we were obliged to carry our Canoe across a Neck of Land, a quarter of a Mile over. We did not reach Venango, till the 22nd, where we met with our Horses." (The distance between Le Boeuf and Venango was estimated by Washington to be about one hundred and thirty miles by way of French Creek).
Owner or Subject Other 5 :
Upon leaving Venango on December 23rd, he wrote, "Our Horses were now so weak and feeble, and the Baggage so heavy...that we doubted much their performing it; therefore myself and others...gave up our Horses for Packs, to assist along with the Baggage. I put myself in an Indian walking Dress (Hip-length leggings of skin and a knee-length coat), and continued with them three Days, till I found there was no Probability of their getting home in any reasonable Time...Therefore as I was uneasy to get back, to make Report of my Proceedings to his Honour, the Governor, I determined to prosecute my Journey the nearest Way through the Woods, on Foot....Then with Gun in Hand and Pack at my Back, in which were my Papers and Provisions, I set-out with Mr. Gist...on Wednesday the 26th.
The Day following...we fell in with a Party of French Indians, who had lain in Wait for us. One of them fired at Mr. Gist or me, not fifteen steps off, but fortunately missed...The next Day we continued traveling till quite dark, and got to the River about two Miles above Shannapins. We expected to have found the River frozen, but it was not, only about fifty Yards from each Shore; The Ice I suppose had broken up above, for it was driving in vast Quantities. There was no Way for getting over but on a Raft; Which we set about with but one poor Hatchet, and finished just after Sun-setting. This was a whole Day's Work.
Then set off; But before we were Half Way over, we were jammed in the Ice, in such a Manner that we expected every Moment our Raft to sink, and ourselves to perish. I put-out my setting Pole to try to stop the Raft, that the Ice might pass by; when the Rapidity of the Stream threw it with so much Violence against the Pole, that it jerked me out into ten Feet Water: but I fortunately saved myself by catching hold of one of the Raft Logs. Notwithstanding all our Efforts we could not get the Raft to either Shore; but were obliged, as we were near an Island, to quit our Raft and make to it. The Cold was so extremely severe, that Mr. Gist had all his Fingers, and some of his Toes frozen; but the water was shut up so hard, that we found no Difficulty in getting-off the Island, on the Ice, in the Morning and went to John Frazier."
Owner or Subject Other 6 :
On December 31, "As we intended to take Horses here, and it required some Time to find them, I went-up about three Miles to the Mouth of Yaughyaughane to visit Queen Aliquippa, who had expressed great Concern that we passed her in going to the Fort. (Queen Aliquippa, of the Delawares, lived on the site of the McKeesport, Penn.) Tuesday the first Day of January, we left Mr. Frazier's House, and arrived at Mr. Gist's at Monongahela the second, where I bought a Horse, Saddle, etc. - the sixth we met seventeen Horses loaded with Materials and Stores, for a Fort at the Forks of Ohio, and the Day after some Families going out to settle: This Day we arrived at Wills Creek, after as fatiguing a Journey as it is possible to conceive, rendered so by excessive bad Weather. From the first Day of December to the fifteenth, there was but one Day on which it did not rain or snow incessantly...
On the eleventh I got to Belvoir, where I stopped one Day to take necessary Rest; and then set out and arrived at Williamsburgh (sic) the sixteenth; when I waited upon his Honour the Governor with the Letter I had brought from the French Commandant; and to give an Account of the success of my Proceedings."
Thus ended Washington's perilous trip, a trip, however, that established him in the eyes of many at the time. On February 21, in Williamsburg, from the Journal of the House of Burgesses in Virginia, it states, "Resolved That the Treasurer be directed to pay out of the public Monies in his hand-s the sum of Fifteen Pounds to Major George Washington to testify our Approbation of his Proceedings in his Journey to the Ohio." His report of his travels were published by Robert Dinwiddie in 1754, an act that inadvertently helped make Washington's name, character and travels known amongst the colonies.
Donor :
Charles Looney; Right Worshipful
Donor Lodge Name Number Location and State :
Duke of Clarence Lodge No. 171; Dublin; Ireland
Donor Royal Arch Chapter Name and Number :
RoyalArch; Israel Chapter No. 126; Past High Priest
Donor Affiliated Lodge Name Number Location and State :
Continental Lodge No. 287; New York; NY
Donor Grand Lodge Office and Year :
GrandLodge-Office; Grand Steward; 1908; 1909
Donor Date Born :
Donor Date Raised :
1898, January 19
Donor Date Died :
1937, March 24
Donor Other :
Master of Continental Lodge No. 287 in 1905, 1906 and 1928. Served as Chaplain of the Lodge in 1918. Upon Right Worshipful Charles Looney's death, his wife Mrs. Ida M. Looney created the Charles Looney Memorial Collection by donating a large number of artifacts he had accumulated. She then actively continued to find new artifacts, adding them to the Collection. She donated a large amount of medals, bookplates, engravings, letter-s and memorabilia in 1942, and continued donating pieces until her death on March 6, 1958.
See Biography Page :
George Washington
Condition :
Details :
From the Charles Looney Engraving Collection; Image in rich color, shows George Washington with wampum in his right hand, entering tent from left, facing six seated and one standing Native Americans; Below image is: "Washington's First Speech to the Indians. -p. 19."; Remnants of binding along right edge.
Display :
Storage Location :
No Further Data :
References :
Fitzpatrick, John C., editor, The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sourced 1745-1799, Volume 1, 1745-1756, United States Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1931; Fitzpatrick, John C., George Washington, Colonial Traveller (sic), 1732-1775, The Bobbs-Merrill Company, Indianapolis, 1927
Photography Information :
Scanner: Minolta PS 7000; Editing: Adobe Photoshop; Scanned by: Catherine M. Walter; Image, Data and Research: Courtesy of the Chancellor Robert R Livingston Masonic Library of Grand Lodge, New York
Date created :
Date modified :
Filename :

A64-110; Print, bookplate, George Washington